I’m a big brunch fan. It’s all the best parts of breakfast – eggs, bread, something sweet – except you also get sleeping in, boozy coffee and mimosas. Also, friends. Often, I’m cooking for a crowd the morning after a party and want something to feed everyone that doesn’t use every pan in the kitchen. This is it – you mix it up the night before (even before the party), let it sit and just pop it in the oven the next day. Which is a perfect amount of time to get a half an hour more sleep and still pour mimosas.
Pumpkin breakfast bake may be hearty and filling, but it’s also cheap and pretty healthy. It tastes like pumpkin pie, but with whole wheat bread, skim milk and little added fat or sugar, it’s a lot better for everyone. Which is good, because then we can feel less bad about last night’s pizza binge.
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- 1 loaf crusty multigrain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 eggs
- 2-3 cups milk
- 2 t pumpkin pie spice
- 1 t cinnamon
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 T honey
- 1 t pumpkin pie spice
- 4 T apple butter
- Whisk eggs, milk, spices and pumpkin in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add bread and stir to coat.
- Place in greased 9 x 13 pan and cover. Refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, uncover pan and bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes to an hour, until the middle is heated through.
- For the topping, just mix all four ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth.